We are thrilled to announce our 2014 Substance Contest! The goal is to have fun, create awesome art and of course win stuff! What about an all-inclusive week for 2 in Paris or LA, next-gen consoles, Maya and Modo licenses, a lifetime of Substance software and much more ($45,000 worth of prizes to win)!
You have until July 7th to make your submissions!
To participate, simply log in on our dedicated forum and create a new thread! (Send us your full submission once the asset is complete, but share your WIP as well in the forum! See rules)
Titans! They are the most terrifying and powerful beings of all. Your challenge is to model and texture a titanic being in all its gigantic glory. You can of course find inspiration in existing characters but we want you to come up this something which is your own. The Titan can be shown in action or simply posing, just make it look cool and badass!
Of course, feel free to be creative around this theme as a Titan can be many things from a giant lava golem to a prehistoric mutant beast or a huge combat robot.
You will find more details about the submission rules at the bottom of this page.
*Substance Pro Pack = Substance Designer + Substance Painter + Bitmap2Material (all in Pro licences)
Runners up include ranks 4 to 10.
- You are free to post your work in progress on the forum or community of your choice.
- To enter the competition though, you will have to create an “official” thread on our own Contest Forum (click here).
- The final submissions will be handled through our website, more details on that later.
Starting now! Final submissions need to be submitted by July 7th.
Results will be announced July 21st.
- A short description of your Titan and it’s background story.
- 1 beauty shot. Any 3D engine or viewport can be used, any post-processing available in the chosen engine are allowed (no Photoshop retakes).
- 1 texture sheet preview, using this substance template (check back soon to download the template).
- An archive containing the mesh as FBX and final textures as TGAs.
- The substance file(s) zipped using the “Export with Dependencies” option in Substance Designer.
- Titan: 100 000 tris
- Pedestal (optional): 10 000 tris
- Any type of material setup can be used, from simple unlit diffuse only to complex PBR and subsurface scattering shaders, your choice 🙂
- Titan: 8192*4096 texture sheet. Can be split into multiple textures (2 x 4096*4096 for example).
- Pedestal (optional): 1024*1024.
Important: You can use any software package for modeling and texturing, however keep in mind that one of the main criteria for the jury is a clever use of the Substance tools. Clever does not necessarily mean doing everything in Substance, but we advise to use Substance as your main toolset for texturing 🙂
How to impress the jury?
- Creativity – Surprise them with an original creature.
- Workflow – Edge flow, UV optimization, texel ratio… Impress them with your technical skills.
- Execution – Please their eyes with the most badass and beautiful characters.
- Substance Usage – No, not that kind of substance. All the members of the Jury are experienced Substance users and all of them use different workflows. Show them how YOU use Substance to your advantage.
Contest Rules and Deadline
“ENTRANTS WHO ARE MINORS: YOU MUST OBTAIN THE CONSENT OF YOUR PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN BEFORE ENTERING THE COMPETITION AND PARTICIPATE UNDER THEIR SUPERVISION.”
1. To be valid, a submission must follow the “Submission rules” featured on http://www.allegorithmic.com/contest/battle-titans#contest
2. One submission per artist. Should you change your concept, the new work must continue within the original thread (and the updated files must be sent to Allegorithmic, as explained in “Submission rules” on http://www.allegorithmic.com/contest/battle-titans#contest)
3. No team entries are permitted.
4. Properly licensed copies of Substance tools must be used and proof of ownership must be provided to Allegorithmic upon request (you are free to choose the tool and number of tools you want to use). The license may be owned by the entrant, entrant’s school or company, or a member of the entrant’s immediate family. For Allegorithmic tools it is permitted to use the trial versions of the software.
5. Members of the jury may not participate in the contest but are allowed to share ideas or WIP on forum threads to inspire other contestants.
6. This is a Substance contest and emphasis will be placed by the jury on the use of Substance to achieve the texturing of the asset.
7. The entrant is encouraged to show within the forum thread the original creation of all assets. If the entrant uses assets from a third party or assets created prior to the start of this contest, this fact must be disclosed at the point in the WIP thread where the asset is first introduced. Use of any asset that would infringe upon a copyright is prohibited.
8. Any character deemed to be the same or too obviously similar to one currently published by any other artist will be disqualified.
9. Any image deemed to contain content that depicts explicit acts that are overtly violent, sexual, cruel or brutal will be disqualified. Such entries may, at Allegorithmic’s sole discretion, be deleted from the contest.
10. The challenge runs from Thursday May 8th, 2014 to 11:59PM (PST) on Monday July 7th, 2014. The final post for your entry must be made no later than 11:59PM (PST) on Monday July 7th, 2014. No late entries will be accepted.
11. Artists may enter the contest at any time before its final deadline.
12. Judging will be done by a panel of judges from AAA and film studios (+1 person from Allegorithmic)
a. Jury evaluation runs for 2 weeks: from Monday, July 7th, 2014 through Monday, July 18th, 2014.
b. Each judge will assign scores to every completed entry, based upon how the judge feels that the entry meets the individual criteria upon which the contest is focused. (A separate score will be given to each criterion.)
c. These individual criterion scores will be totaled for an aggregate score for each entry.
d. The aggregate scores from each judge will be totaled to arrive at a final aggregate score for each entry.
e. The ten entries with the highest aggregate scores will move on to the finalist phase.
f. Allegorithmic reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify a judge if it is determined that the judge did not act impartially. In this situation, all of the disqualified judge’s scores will be discarded, with none counting toward the final aggregate score.
g. Individual scores will not be disclosed.
h. In the event of a tie, an additional judge from Allegorithmic may intervene.
13. Winners will be announced on Monday July 21st, 2014.
14. All dates are based on the U.S. Pacific Time zone. Entry and voting deadlines are at 11:59 pm on the date in question.
15. Allegorithmic may use artwork from the contest submissions for marketing purposes, and agree to clearly credit the artist if any such artwork is used.
16. All entries are the property of the respective artists. Allegorithmic may use submitted artwork for the purpose of promotion and communication. If any artist’s work is used in this manner, the artist will be credited.
17. Allegorithmic reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any entry that does not adhere to the spirit of the Allegorithmic forum and these rules. Allegorithmic also reserves the right to suspend, adjust the dates, modify or cancel the contest, including these rules, in any manner and at its sole discretion. This may be done with or without prior notice.
18. In the event of a dispute, ruling will be made by Allegorithmic legal counsel based upon the rules laid out herein. Legal counsel’s ruling will be final.
19. If you do not agree with any of the above terms and conditions, please do not enter the contest.